Interuniversity Inauguration of the Academic Year 2022/2023 in Katowice – City of Science
One of the key events in the last academic year was the award of the title of the European City of Science 2024 to Katowice. This prestigious distinction was awarded by the EuroScience association to a Polish academic city for the first time. The successful application was the effect of a joint effort by the city of Katowice and the academic circle of public universities with headquarters in the capital of the region. In order to prepare together for the events in 2024, rectors of seven public universities in Katowice formed the Academic Consortium Katowice – City of Science, which consists of:
- City of Katowice (strategic partner of the Consortium),
- Karol Szymanowski Academy of Music in Katowice,
- Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice,
- Jerzy Kukuczka Academy of Physical Education in Katowice,
- Silesian University of Technology,
- Medical University of Silesia in Katowice,
- University of Economics in Katowice,
- University of Silesia in Katowice (leader).
This cooperation will be confirmed by the first inauguration of academic year in the history of academic Silesia.
The joint inauguration ceremony of the academic year 2022/2023 will begin on 30 September 2022 at 10 a.m. at the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra concert hall. It will be preceded by a solemn rector’s procession in the streets of Katowice, and crowned with a concert performed by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.
The inauguration is organised by: The City of Katowice and the Academic Consortium Katowice – City of Science.
Metropolis GZM is a partner of the event.
- Rector’s procession
- Academic procession – from the square near the Rectorate of the University of Silesia in Katowice (ul. Bankowa 12), through ul. Bankowa, footbridge over Al. Roździeńskiego, to the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra building (pl. W. Kilara 1). Participants of the procession will enter the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra premises through the eastern entrance.
- Commencement of the ceremony
- Inaugural speeches
- Matriculation and PhD students pledge ceremony
- Inaugural lecture entitled „Transitioning together: universities, cities and regions acting to create positive change for all” by Prof. Michael Matlosz, President of EuroScience
Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra in Katowice
Antoni Wit – conductor
Krzysztof Książek – piano
Wojciech Kilar – Piano Concerto No.2, Krzesany
The honorary patronage of the project was taken by:
- Minister of Education and Science,
- Minister of Culture and National Heritage,
- Minister of Sport and Tourism,
- Minister of Health,
- Marshall of the Silesian Voivodeship,
- Chair of the Management Board of Metropolis GZM.
Participation in the ceremony
Participation in the ceremony is possible upon completing the registration form. Please register until 16 September 2022. The number of participants is limited and the applications will be handled on a first come, first served basis.
Accessibility for everyone
People with disabilities can report their need for support or other individual conditions for participation in the ceremony during registration.
The event takes place in the building of the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, which meets the highest standards of architectural accessibility.
People with hearing impairments may use the hearing support technologies and translation to Polish Sign Language.
Live captions in Polish and English will be available during the ceremony. Participants of the events may display captions in the selected language on their mobile devices:
- live captions in Polish: napisy.dostepni.eu/channels/main,
- live captions in English: napisy.dostepni.eu/channels/alfa.
The official part of the ceremony will be broadcast on Facebook (official fanpage of the city of Katowice and fanpages of the universities forming the Academic Consortium Katowice – City of Science), as well as on „Katowice Oficjalny Kanał” YouTube channel. The broadcast in English will be available only on YouTube.
European City of Science 2024
The interuniversity inauguration of the academic year 2022/2023 is part of the celebration related to the award of the title of the European City of Science 2024 to Katowice. This marks the first time a Central European city has ever received this title and proves that the city’s efforts towards transforming the post-industrial region into a strong scientific centre where modern technologies are developing have been appreciated.
The projects planned in Katowice for the upcoming years are designed to improve the quality of life and health for the inhabitants and will be based on the latest achievements of science and technology. Establishing closer cooperation between the Silesian universities and the city is a natural step allowing for more effective implementation of changes and mutual exchange of ideas. One of the indications of the increasing bonds is the joint inauguration of the academic year 2022/2023 by members of the Academic Consortium Katowice – City of Science.
The European City of Science title is also an opportunity to increase the involvement of inhabitants of the Upper Silesia and academic circles in solving local problems. It improves the opportunities to acquire funds for implementation of investment plans in regional education and increases the recognisability and tourist attractiveness of the city in the international arena.
Details of the events can be obtained at: email@example.com.