Thursday, October 19, 2017
   
Text Size
Vinaora Nivo Slider

History

The Medical University of Silesia is the largest medical school in Poland. It has been established on the 20th of March 1948. At first it was given the name Medical Academy and was  placed in Rokitnica Bytomska. The name Medical University of Silesia was given in 1949. The lectures for the 135 newly admitted students of medicine and 96 students of dentistry had begun in October 1948. The first Celebration  of the academic year  took place on the 20th of November  1948. The first Rector of the school was Professor Nowakowski, a famous specialist in hygiene. Gradually, the school was extending and the number of students grew up. In 1950, for example,  there were already 1121 students, while  in 1955 - 2610. The Rector`s position was held  by  Professor Stefan Slopek, Professor Marian Garlicki, Professor Witold Zahorski and Professor Witold Niepołomski, in turn. Between 1953-1954 the first graduates obtained diplomas as physicians  and  dentists.

 

On the 10 years anniversary in 1958, the school already had at its disposal 37 departments  and 18 university hospital units for 1800 beds. There were 2657 students. At this time 111 doctoral titles were awarded and nearly 1000 scientific works were published. In 1971, the Headquarters of the Medical University of Silesia were moved to Katowice. In the same year the College of Pharmacy was established. The university developed rapidly, and in 1974 the Central University Hospital in Katowice-Ligota started admitting patients. Also the College of Nursing in Katowice-Ligota had been established (currently the School of Health Care). In 1975, two medical schools were established - in Katowice and in Zabrze. The number of students had been increased in 1970 and equalled 2500, while at the moment there are more than 1600 students at  the  School of Medicine in Katowice alone.

Next couple of years meant a successful development of the school, directed by Rectors Professor Zbigniew Herman, Professor Franciszek Kokot, Professor Mieczysław Luciak, Professor Władysław Pierzchała, Professor Zbigniew Religa and Professor Tadeusz Wilczok in turn. In 2005, the current Rector, Professor Ewa Małecka-Tendera was elected.
In these years, the Department of Ophthalmology at the Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Therapy were founded. The Institute of Pediatrics in Katowice was opened, and most of the Departments of Pediatrics in Zabrze and Katowice were opened to patients. The training program for the family doctors was put in force. The English Language program for medical students has been carried out since 1996.