Saturday, September 23, 2017
   
Text Size
Vinaora Nivo Slider

Welcome

General information

The Medical University of Silesia consists of five schools: School of Medicine in Katowice (the one that offers education in English language), School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze, School of Health Care, School of Public Health, and School of Pharmacy with Division of Medical Analytics in Sosnowiec. The university is governed by the Rector who together with his Deputies and Administration Director constitutes the Rector`s Council.

The Senate is the body managing the whole university. Each school is governed by the Dean, who together with his Deputies and the Head of the Dean`s Office constitutes the Dean`s Council. The Program in English language is coordinated by the Vice-Dean for the English Language Program. Chairs and departments are basic units of each school. Each department is managed by the Chairman of the Department. Clinical education programs are carried out in the university hospitals and affiliated institutions. An important part of the university is constituted by the Library with the computer center. There  is  also a  well  organized  social  and  sport  infrastructure.

 

Figures

STUDENTS:

Currently, the total number of students of the Medical University of Silesia is 6,402, including:

  • School of Medicine in Katowice – 1,617 students (including 404 students enrolled in the English language program)
  • School of Health Care in Katowice - 1,394 students
  • School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze – 1,238 students
  • School of Pharmacy with the Division of Laboratory Medicine in Sosnowiec – 1,579 students
  • School of Public Health in Bytom - 574 students

The total number of students of either evening or extramural studies in the fields of medicine, dental medicine (dentistry), pharmacy, obstetrics & gynecology, or public health, is 1,120.

Read more: Figures

 

History

The Medical University of Silesia is the largest medical school in Poland. It has been established on the 20th of March 1948. At first it was given the name Medical Academy and was  placed in Rokitnica Bytomska. The name Medical University of Silesia was given in 1949. The lectures for the 135 newly admitted students of medicine and 96 students of dentistry had begun in October 1948. The first Celebration  of the academic year  took place on the 20th of November  1948. The first Rector of the school was Professor Nowakowski, a famous specialist in hygiene. Gradually, the school was extending and the number of students grew up. In 1950, for example,  there were already 1121 students, while  in 1955 - 2610. The Rector`s position was held  by  Professor Stefan Slopek, Professor Marian Garlicki, Professor Witold Zahorski and Professor Witold Niepołomski, in turn. Between 1953-1954 the first graduates obtained diplomas as physicians  and  dentists.

Read more: History