Friday, December 15, 2017
   
Text Size
Vinaora Nivo Slider

About Katowice

katowiceKatowice  is  the  main  city  of  Upper  Silesia  -  a  historical  part  of  Poland. The  first  factories,  such  as  ironworks,  started  to  operate  in  the  14th  century  already.     In  the  19th  century  the  whole  area  existed  as  a  vast  country:  Katowice  and  the  Karbowo,  Brynów  and  Bogucice  estates.  At  that  time  numerous  coal-mines  and  steelworks  were  established,  for  example,  in  1804  one  of  the  biggest  steelworks,  still  active  the  Baildon  steelwork  was  opened  by  the  prince  Hohenlohe  together  with  the  Irish  engineer  John  Baildon.    It  was  the  first  steelwork  in the world where the  domestic  coke  was  burnt.

The  civic  rights  for  Katowice  were  obtained  on  the  11th  of  November  1865. But  the  plans  of  extension  and  development  of  the  area  were  already  prepared  much  earlier. The  advantage  was  the  geographical  situation  of  the  city  -  by  the  Prussian  and  Russian  border.  An  intensive  enlargement  and  development  of  the  city  had  started  immediately  after  obtaining  the  civic  rights.  In  the  years  1869 - 1872  almost  200  new  residential  buildings  were  constructed.  Simultaneously,  the  population  rate  increased: in  1783  there  were  294  people  living  in  Katowice,  in  1825  the  figure  grew  up  to  675,  while  in  1861  it  reached  3780.  The  headquarters  of  coal-mines,  steelworks,  coal  partnerships  and  several  other  institutions  begin  to  operate  here.  After  the  First  World  War,  Katowice  City  was  incorporated  by  Germany  which  caused  a  period  of  struggle  for  independence  called  by  historians  the  Silesian  Insurrections.  As  a  consequence of  the  Plebiscyte,  Katowice  were  adjudicated  to  Poland.


In  independent  Poland  Katowice  existed  as  a  capital  of  the  province  with  great  autonomy.  Important  institutions  were  established  here,  such  as:  Silesian  Parlament,  Bishop’s  Curia  of  the  Silesian  Diocese,  various  consulates,  banks,  etc.  As  a  cultural  center,  there  were  also  constructed:  Silesian  Musical  Conservatorium,  Silesian  Technical  College  and  others.  Also  the  first  in  Poland  skyscraper  was  built  here.  Between  1922  and  1939  the  city  developed  rapidly. The  population  rate  reached  125,000  inhabitants,  90 %  of  which  was  of  Polish  origin.


An  incorporation  of  the  land  in  the  neighbourhood  (communes  such  as  Piotrowice,  Panewniki,  Wełnowiec,  Ochojec  and  Zadole)  had  a  direct  influence  on  the  process  of  enlargement  of  Katowice.  In  1960  also  the  city  of  Szopienice  together  with the  neighbourhood  lands  joined  in.  Inevitably,  several  new  housing  estates  were  constructed,  which  was  Koszutka  and  Nowa  Ligota.  Also  a  new  Park  was  opened.

There  are  several  higher  education  schools  operating  in  Katowice:  School of  Economy  (1950),  Silesian  University  (1968),  Division  of  the  Academy  of  Art in  Cracow,  Silesian  Scientific  Institute  (1957),  Academy  of  Physical  Education  (1970),  Higher  Theological  Seminary  of  Silesia  (1980).

The  special  attention  deserve  cultural  institutions,  such  as:  reconstructed  Silesian  Museum,  the  Stanisław  Wyspiański  Theatre,  Silesian  Philharmony,  Polish  Radio  Orchestra and  also  the  TV  station  and  several  radio  stations.  There  are  many  publishing  houses of  periodicals,  journals,  magazines  and  daily  newspapers.
There  is also a huge  sport  center  available,  Hala Widowiskowo-Sportowa  called  ”Spodek”. At  the  moment  Katowice  takes  165  sq.  km  of  land. The population rate  equals  almost  500,000  inhabitants.